Tuesday 15 February 2011

Chorizo, Bean and Lentil Stew

I've just finished work for the week - I know, I know it's only Tuesday I hear you say. I got home pretty late after son 1's trumpet lesson and needed to cook something for dinner.....with very little food in the house! If it wasn't for being rescued by the milkman again this morning (milk, bread and yoghurt - THANK YOU) I think there might have been a mutiny on my hands. We get through a lot of food - I say we, the cat and I tend to graze modestly during the day, the husband has scaled back his portions, so in truth it's the sons who at age 12 and 7 (nearly 8) can pack it away! So dinner tonight was a store cupboard raid, and in truth it was rather good.



1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion finely sliced
200g chorizo sliced and then the slices halved
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 litre vegetable stock
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 carton of passata
1 tsp chilli flakes
200g lentils
2 tins cannellini beans
salt and pepper

1. lightly fry the onion in the sunflower oil
2. add the chorizo and cook for a minute or two, then add the tomato puree and cook for a further couple of minutes
3. add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes, passata, chilli flakes, lentils and cannellini beans and stir well
4. bring to a simmer and let it gently bubble away until the lentils are cooked - mine took about 30 minutes
5. top up with a little water if the lentils swell too much
6. season to taste
7. serve with couscous or rice, or if you prefer bread (pittta? naan? crusty baguette?)

VERY easy - I like that after a day at work! And there are a couple of portions ready for the freezer which makes me very happy too and an extra one put aside for the lovely friend's lunch tomorrow. I'll definitely be making this one again.

1 comment:

  1. Really yummy too. Had some yesterday and then again today!
    Tummy's very happy.

    ReplyDelete